Buy World of Warcraft Joana's Guide - Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sango's Journey: Part 1 Durotar

Sango the Orc Warlock decides to level up using Joana's Horde Leveling Guide.

I've got a very small (five active members) guild on a PVP server. We're just big enough to create a 5v5 Arena team. This is the server where I already have a level 70 feral Druid. I like the druid for PVP in general, and he's strong in most 1 v. 1 match ups, but I don't see him as all that viable in 5v5 Arena.

Since we have a Paladin, Warrior, Priest and Rogue in the works, I decided to build a Warlock. I've already been to 60 five times, and to 70 four times, and our plan is to hit BGs at 70 and get the blue sets and BG epics then transition to Arena, so gear isn't an issue. Quest gear will do fine to start out. That left speed as my concern. My compatriots are already 55 and 60 now, so I have some catching up to do.

I decided to drop the $37 on Joanna's guide to see how fast it could speed things up. Sango's Journey entries will record my experiences with the guide, including tips for use with a Warlock. Since the guide is focused on my goal, speed leveling, if it's good, it has far more value than any Prima guide, and will be well worth the cost. Especially since I can use it again on other alts.

I bought the guide when my Warlock was level 8, and I spent a lot of time goofing off in guild chat discussing plans for the arena team, so my initial leg of the journey will not be an accurate gauge of leveling speed.

Part One of the guide takes you from level 1-12. There is both a Blood Elf starting area guide and an Orc starting area guide. One of our 60s got the guide and started a new Blood Elf hunter to check it out, and he's had nice results in the Blood Elf area. Considering Orc racials for a PVP lock, I went the Orc route.

Since I've already done the vast majority of the quests in the guide and don't need the links or the maps on the HTML version (and because WoW crashes a LOT lately when you alt-tab out), I just printed the pages for the first section off the PDF file, and used them as a checklist.

The first thing you notice about the guide is that it is written from a hunter's perspective. The hunter class quests, including details such as the best pets to tame along the way are highlighted in red, so they're easy to skip.

Durotar is pretty much Durotar now matter how you slice it. The suggested order of quest stacking was very good though, and more optimal than my usual approach. There was one glitch, and that is with a timed quest.

At one point, the guide directs you to pick up "Need for a Cure" and then tells you to go do four more quests, then run down to turn in some in Razor Hill, then run up and do all the cave quests, and THEN turn in "Need for a Cure."

"Need for a Cure" requires you to complete "Finding the Antidote" which gets you the antidote for the poor troll hiding out in the rocks. (I have to wonder why the NPC doesn't just take a few steps to the East and shout for a guard.) "Need for a Cure" has a 45 minute timer. There is NO WAY I could get the quests in the guide done in that time frame with my Warlock at level 10. I have some reservations about a Hunter doing it, but it may be possible. I failed the quest by about 30-45 seconds. When you drop "Need for a Cure" the game also deletes your antidote, meaning you have to go pick that quest up again and do it.

My advice: After you pick up "Finding the Antidote", DROP "Need for a Cure" and at the point the guide tells you to go turn in "Need for a Cure" pick it back up and give the antidote to the troll. This lets you get the antidote and not worry about the timer.

Warlock Tip: You can wait until you do the cave quests to get the first leg of the voidwalker quest done, and when you go back to Org for other quests, the last part is right next to one of those.

Time Played to Level 12: 8hrs 46mins

Check back daily to see Sango's progress!