Buy World of Warcraft Joana's Guide - Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thursday, April 3, 2008

WoW 2.4 Patch Thoughts

Patch 2.4 is here, so it's probably time for me to ramble on with my latest WoW thoughts. I'm going to try to get back to this blog a bit more, but I'm also working on another project to organize WoW information for the casual players out there, so it may be hit or miss.

Guess I'll start with Patch 2.4, or as I like to call it patch carrot.stick.

This patch has a LOT of goodies in it. My loot whoring heart swells with ardor at all of the new, and old, gear that has become available for my small army (more a squad, technically) of alts. Not to mention Sunwell's new five man, Magister's Terrace, and a bunch of easier daily quests. All this adds up to a nice fat carrot hanging from a stick juuuust out of reach to keep us playing until Wrath of the Lich King comes out.

Out of reach, I say? Well, let's just call it a time sink.

New Instance : New loot to grind for, including the Phoenix Hatchling pet, which I really want for my fire mage.

New Dailies + Daily Quest Limit : Oh, well, may as well grind gold for that epic flying mount now. With 5 seventies, I can now do 125 dailies per day. Joy.

New Badge Loot: The newest badge loot (the vendor for which is unlocked as your server takes over the island of Quel'Thalas via daily questing) is VERY good. It's somewhere between Tier 5 and Tier 6 good. It's also expensive. My Badge gear shopping list for my alts anywhere from 400-700 badges per alt. Yeah, that'll keep me busy.

Blue PVP sets are now available from reputation vendors at Honored: Actually, a time SAVER here, but it lets you boost your resilience nicely if you're more of a PVE player who wants to get some of the upcoming Season 2 arena gear when it rolls down to honor purchases in Season 4. So, it's really an enabler for honor grinding.

Battleground Token Turn In for Honor: A new quest (actually same name as an older, similar quest, if I recall correctly), Concerted Efforts, rewards 314 honor for turning in one of each Battleground Mark. Yet another honor grind enabler, along with honor being instantly available, it's really pretty nice for boosting you up enough to buy an item you need, provided you don't need the badges. It also eases the pain of being perpetually on the losing side in certain battle grounds.

Of course, the new 25 man raid is pretty cool news for raiders, and should keep them busy a while. But this blog isn't for those guys. =P (Not that I don't raid, I'm just casual about it, still puttering through SSC and TK at the moment.)

Anyway, nice carrots, long stick. It should be more than enough to keep an altoholic or even a one character player busy for a while, perhaps until the release of WOTLK.